Over the past several months, I have been immersed in learning about critical thinking. As my first course in my media psychology doctoral program comes to a close, I am taking the opportunity of this final blog entry to reflect on what I have learned. I have come to understand critical thinking as the process by which one determines the validity of an argument and to see it as a cornerstone of becoming an educated individual in today’s society.
Critical Thinking Defined
Critical thinking is a process. There are many definitions for critical thinking, i.e. descriptions of steps required for its practice, available.
Here are just three:
- CTILAC Faculty. (1998). Critical Thinking & Information Literacy Across the Curriculum. Bellevue College. Available online http://bellevuecollege.edu/lmc/ilac/critdef.htm.
- Critical Thinking.org
- Citation: Huitt, W. (1998). Critical thinking: An overview. Educational Psychology Interactive. Valdosta, GA: Valdosta State University. [Revision of paper presented at the Critical Thinking Conference sponsored by Gordon College, Barnesville, GA, March, 1993.] Available online http://www.edpsycinteractive.org/topics/cogsys/critthnk.html.
Though slightly different, all include the same key strategies for appraising the thought processes an individual uses to develop a conclusion:
- examining logic and reasoning,
- looking for bias and preconceived notions,
- scrutinizing the sources used to ensure they are both valid and relevant, and
- considering the appropriateness of the research method.
To be a critical thinker, not only must you analyze the arguments of others, you must self-reflect on your own thought processes to find the habitual flaws in your own arguments to break those habits. This requires knowing your biases and prejudices and identifying where they surface in your arguments, keeping an open mind, and being able to understand topics from the perspectives of others. In effect, you must remove your mind’s “blinders.” This is difficult, as it is often easier to see the flaws in the arguments of others than it is your own.
Becoming a critical thinker also requires a paradigm shift from being a passive participant to an active one. In today’s world, new communication technologies have given us means to transmit information in other than the written word. This means you not only must become an active reader, but an active listener, observer, discussion participant, etc. as well.
Effects of Critical Thinking
Striving to practice critical thinking in as many situations as possible (as it has applications in realms other than that of scholarly work), can dramatically change what and how much you learn, affect your ability to interact with others and increase your observational skills.
As a previous social science student, I understood how mass media could be used as a tool of corporate interest. Additionally, I was aware of the problem of media bias. Critically thinking about media, however, has expanded my understanding of those problems. I came to a better understanding of how techniques such as gatekeeping, propoganda, and marketing that help sway the public to take a specific action can be used. I also came to see teaching people to think critically is a key way to combat those practices. Here’s a rather poignant example http://www.paidtwice.com/2008/03/17/critical-thinking-and-the-media-awareness-brings-a-new-eye/.
The use of media in learning has rekindled interest in a field that is known as media literacy. Media literacy is defined by the National Association for Media Literacy Education (NAMLE) as “the ability to encode and decode the symbols transmitted via media and the ability to synthesize, analyze and produce mediated messages.” All forms of media: video, audio, text, photographic, etc., can convey meaning. Furthermore, a relatively newer form of media, multimedia, conveys messages by using forms of media in combination. It is important that individuals be able to interpret these messages and be able craft their own messages as well.
NAMLE also makes note that in order to be literate “in a media age requires critical thinking skills” (http://www.medialiteracy.com/). Why? The new communication tools -- social media tools -- make it easy for anyone to publish media. This new ability has many benefits, however, because online information is not subject to the same editing standards of print publications, anyone can appear as credible source of information. Use of online information as a source for any argument requires you to determine if the source is credible or not,
As I have learned about critical thinking, I have striven to use it in as many situations as possible. As a result, I have seen it altering my behaviors in my professional life; changing how I view any type of information presented to me. In my first blog entry, I conveyed that during the course of many meetings I have found myself wanting to ask the speaker: “Are you listening to yourself?” However, as the majority of the time the speaker was the "authority" figure, I felt that it was my own logic that had to be flawed. I have slowly released my preconceived notion that the authority figures are always right. It is important to recognize that authority figures are subject to bias and flawed thinking the same as everyone else. As a result of this course, I have been able to note situations where there was been a lack of critical thinking and visualize the ramifications of the result. The increased ability to become aware of flawed thinking in others is a result noted by Linda Elder on criticalthinking.org.
One particular skill I have striven to enhance is the ability to examine an argument from the point of view of others. I have found that this gives me an understanding why and how the individual built a certain argument so I can properly frame my response in a way that they can understand. In addition, I want to avoid frustrating others by being guilty of the same offense.
Conclusion: Critical Thinking is a New Requirement for Being Educated
Over the years, the definition of learning has changed, and along with it, what is meant by being an educated person. Part of being educated now includes knowing the process of critical thinking and being able to practice it. As noted by Carol Twigg:
“Driven by the information explosion, or the knowledge explosion, our expectations about what a college student should learn at the baccalaureate level are changing. Increasingly, viewing a college education as mastery of a body of knowledge or a complete preparation for a lifetime career is becoming outmoded. Instead, we recognize that graduates need to have acquired skills, such as critical thinking,
quantitative reasoning, and effective communication, along with abilities, such as the ability to find needed information and the ability to work well with others.”
This is what is expected at the baccalaureate level; expectations for the doctoral level are much higher. Doctoral students are be expected to filter through much more information. In addition, we are expected to craft our own arguments based on our own research; not just finding needed information, but producing that information in the hope that it will bring about some type of valuable social change. It is an exciting time to be a media psychologist. As noted by many, new communications tools bring about changes in society. It is highly likely that the changes brought by the new media will be profound. Knowing how to think critically will be valuable as I try to measure and interpret those changes.
Resource
Twigg, C. (July/August 1994). The Changing Definition of Learning. Educom Review 29(4). Available Online. http://net.educause.edu/apps/er/review/reviewArticles/29422.html.
